Wednesday 1 January 2014

The year of 'buying no new stuff'

It's that time of year when the world seems endless with potential and change; today is the day when the change begins and out of last years failures rises a  new and fresh opportunity to become more of who we want to be. I love a New Year challenge and this year is no exception.

My last purchase in 2013.
I hope they will remind me to be a wise old owl
and stop shopping!
This is the year of 'buying no new stuff' for me ( and to varying degrees, my family). Gulp. I am very excited about this but also a little bit scared. Scared because I am going to find it painful and inconvenient and it is going to challenge my primitive need to consume to the core. But I want that challenge. Where as once upon a time the need to acquire meant to survive, or not, it now means more and greater excess, and I'm not sure it makes us happy. And its certainly not good for our beautiful gift of the earth.

My main reason for not buying new stuff this year is I am worried about the state of the earth. We consume as though the earth's resources are infinite and that the waste we produce just disappears when it is out of our sight.             Unfortunately it does not. And that has all sorts of consequences. 

I also want to challenge my need to consume and acquire. I am a consumer more than I care to be or admit. I was not made for this. And I am ready to learn to be content with what we have (which is loads, shed loads). Contentment is going to be key.

So, the rules.

1. Buy nothing new. As in, shiny, out the packet, never been used by anyone else.

2. It is ok to buy second hand items. But, to challenge my need to consume, (gulp), only when we need something.

3. We can buy food and toiletries. (But with an attitude of 'let's use what we've got first'). And pants if we need them! Oh, and perhaps printer ink.

There will be lots of challenges, and perhaps a few fails (where do I get a second hand Brownie gilet which doesn't haven't have someone else's badges all over it?), but I also hope to discover lots of fun stuff, I look forward to greater creativity, contentment and time. I guess I might even have some more money, which could be used for fun times. Happy days.

I look forward to sharing my journey with you over the next months.

I would love to hear your new years challenges or resolutions, please leave a comment.

May you have a wonderful start to 2014, full of peace and joy.

Thanks for reading, and feel free to share this post if you would like to.


2 comments:

  1. Excellent new years resolution for a way of living! I actually rarely buy anything new as anything i buy second hand I will then happily give away for free when i no longer need it. My challenge will be more of Rule#2 as i often will browse a charity shop even though i need nothing in particular. Pre-planning meals may help avoid any food waste too.
    My new years resolution is to eat more healthily and exercise to get to a healthy body weight and state. Currently the 'state' of my body and health will negatively affect how many years i will be alive and will cut my years of being able to be a witness to the wonderful love of Jesus. Therefore i am not serving God as i should be by treating my body the way God intended and extending my lifespan. Its a tough one for me (chocolate has been a good friend of mine) but through Him all things are possible and I WILL conquer this demon and live a long life in servitude of the Lord! :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Melissa. I'm similar to you in that my rule no.2 is going to be the greater challenge! I also don't buy very much new, but my need to consume is alive and kicking! I think all of our behaviour is related to our relationship with God and how we understand how He has made us, and how much he loves us. I'm sure both of our challenges will cause us to pray more for His help! Much love, Cx

    ReplyDelete